St Thomas More is first and foremost a Catholic School – in faith and in our all-embracing philosophy, based on the teaching and values of Jesus Christ. We commit ourselves as a Catholic Community to the development of the whole person and the pursuit of excellence by:
- Nurturing and developing the Catholic faith within our community with a love of God and neighbour and through a belief that all are unique and equal in the eyes of God
- Having expectations of the highest possible standards in all things for all pupils, resulting in the highest possible academic success and personal achievement
- Ensuring high standards of behaviour through a culture of respect for oneself, for the school and for others, embracing the fact that we are all members of a wider multi-cultural and multi-faith community, whilst holding a strong sense of pride and belonging for our own school community
- Fostering a love and joy of learning and healthy living, to produce happy, healthy, successful and responsible global citizens of the future.
We believe that our Mission Statement reflects the governments drive for the promotion of fundamental 'British Values'.
The government has defined these as:
- an understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- an appreciation that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for their wellbeing and safety
- an understanding that there is a separation of power between the executive and the judiciary, and that while some public bodies such as the police and the army can be held to account through Parliament, others such as the courts maintain independence
- an understanding that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- an acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour
- an understanding of the importance of identifying and combatting discrimination